Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A crick in my neck

Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. (Eph 5:24)

This morning I spent some time dwelling on the above scripture and came up with this thought. Why do I earnestly seek God’s direction, eager to put it to action, but not my husband’s? As the scripture says, I am to submit to Jon as the church submits to Christ. Just before I read this verse, I was praying for God to lead me (and Jon) in our next steps after seminary. I furthered prayed for God to take in his grip my desire to become a published writer, I stand ready to turn away from what brings me such joy (writing) or ready to dive into the long journey of becoming a published writer.

Here I am tilting my ear to the high heavens, getting a crick in my neck, and shooing Jon away, worried that I won’t hear God over Jon’s gibberish. Jon sits me down to share his discernment into our life, I say “Just one moment, let me finish checking my Facebook.” Or when he steps out in faith, I say, “I think I’m going to sit this one out.” And while sometimes I say these same things to God, the difference is that I am more eager to receive discernment from God than from my husband. I’m missing out. It is God’s plan for me to be directed through Jon. It’s God’s plan!

Last I checked God’s plan is a sure thing. That phrase “My way or the highway,” yep he coined it. Okay, not really, because obviously I’m living proof that you can take the high road. But I’m here to tell you, don’t take the high road. No wonder I’ve been stressed! I’m trying to work against God, rather than with him. I’m like a fish trying to swim upstream.

Speaking of my desire to be a published writer, I’ve been reading an informational guide on how to write a book proposal. Last night I spent some time checking out the website of the women who wrote the guide. Her name is Mary DeMuth, she also wrote a book called Thin Places (in it she will take you deep into the crevices of her heart and share how God was with her even through life’s darkest moments). Today I logged onto her website and to my surprise read about a contest she is running in which she will give away some great resources for writers. I couldn’t pass on this opportunity, I even opened my first personal twitter account! If your are an aspiring writer, I encourage you to check out her website if not for the contest then for the free advice she gives through blog posts and such.


1 comment:

isten hotza said...

Young lady, I spent seven years in a writers group in the 80's and I've read hundreds of articles and dozens of books - none of them made me a published writer. Writing make you a writer. Writing and being rejected and writing and being told it needs more work and it's only through writing, re-writing, editing, revising and re-writing that you become a writer. I do recommend "Getting Into Character" by Brandilyn Collins if you must read about writing. =) Jack