Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Taking the Y out of DIY

Some of you asked for pictures of the wedding lasso that I made and here they are!

After searching and searching online for a wedding lasso to buy for my friends (the now married Cesar and Erica Hernandez!) I decided to make one myself. Well, to be honest, Jon had to talk me into it first – The whole do-it-yourself aspect was pretty intimating! After getting God’s take [encouragement] on the matter, I take off for Michael’s (because if you have a DIY project that is the place to start). After gathering my material I go to check out. So I'm checking out and talking to the cashier about the project. She asks, “So you must have made many before.” “No, this is my first one,” I reply. Then she stops and looks at me with a very worried gleam in her eye and says, “Well, God bless you!” To which I reply, “Yes, God bless me!”

All this to say: DIY does not have to be an all-by-yourself project. If you are courageously tackling a project outside of your comfort zone, make sure you invite God along for the ride. I assure you, you won’t regret it. He is better than Martha and Rachel! I don’t turn everything I make into a DIY project, it’s a balance. However, I’ve noticed the more DIY I incorporate into my life the more fun I have! And it’s so full-filling. When I finished that lasso I felt like an accomplished artist. It adds memories and significance to the objects of our life.

On a deeper note: I may not weave baskets and sew my own clothes but my life is full of DIY and not in ways that I’m proud to admit. Just as Martha Stewart turns Thanksgiving into a DIY extravaganza so we turn life into a do-it-Myself (without God) marathon. We watch Martha and ask, “Are the embellished hand painted place cards really necessary?” when we should look at ourselves and ask, “Are all our worries really necessary?” Jesus told us to worry about today, for tomorrow will worry about itself. He asks us to consider the lilies of the field and then trust that we are more precious and cared for than them. He beckons us to forget our needs for food, clothing, and shelter, promising to take care of us if we will just take care of others. And if we must worry, he asks us to worry about the widowed, broken, and fatherless. When it comes to living life with Christ there is no such thing as DIY. Its do-it-for Christ, do-it-with Christ, or Christ-is-going-to-do-it-for-you!










No comments: