Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The girl who cried coyote


The other day I was walking across campus delighting in the warmth of 40-degree weather (Yes, you heard right – de-light-in’) when my eyes locked onto a strange sight. It was a furry brown creature that was crotched under a tree. While I have noticed that the squirrels on campus are larger than average, this animal was 50 times their size. With a closer look I knew – this larger than life squirrel was a coyote crouching, preparing to pounce, and staring straight at me!

“Yikes!! Are you looking at me?” I feebly asked the coyote. “NO, Dummy! I’m looking at the invisible person behind you – Of course I’m looking at you!” the coyote spat at me.
I quickly glanced around, looking for a haven to run towards. Which is when I spotted two more coyotes in the distance. Yet, intuition immediately told me that they were phonies. Then, common sense told me that the crouching coyote was also a scam. This realization calmed my fears and drew laughter to my lips.

I continued my walk across campus, feeling safe and secure from all alarms. 

The coyote sighting reminded me of this bible verse, “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8)

I wish I could as easily decipher the enemy’s dealings as scams like I did with the coyotes. Intuition and common sense spring forth from a heart and mind rooted deep in the promises of God. Wouldn’t it be grand to see Satan’s schemes for what they are worth.

The coyote was real – really fake! I have pictures to prove its existence - its real! Yet, its purpose could only be achieved by taking on a façade - its really fake! The Word tells us, the devil is real – he really exists! But, we also know that truth only comes from God and lies are all the enemy can produce.

Sometimes the enemy’s schemes are scary…sometimes they are alluring. Instead of crossing paths with a coyote you could find yourself captivated by a beautifully fake plastic swan floating in water. (Yes, there is also a fake swan on campus! To give you some background: A flock of geese make their home at Trinity each year. While it sounds quite picturesque….it’s not. The geese are territorial and have been known to attack students. They also leave poop all over campus! To combat this problem our campus placed fake coyotes and a swan on campus.)

So I ask: God, why would you take a funny experience as this and turn it into a theological one?

Here is why….

Just as I laughed at myself for initially being scarred of the coyote, so should I have peace because my Lord is the one true God, and if God is for us, who can be against us? The relief I felt, the safe and secure song I hummed, should always be on my lips because in all matters God goes before me, and is with me.

And, just as humanity would never let me get away with claiming that the coyote I spotted was really real, so should I not stand for my brothers and sisters being led astray by the enemy. Reading the Word and living life with the church are great ways to ensure that Satan doesn’t make a fool of you and your loved ones.

Finally, while the enemy has more power than the coyote, I must remember that I am filled to-the-brim with a power that overcame the enemy (and the coyote)…the Holy Spirit. And as He stands in victory/ Sin's curse has lost its grip on me/ For I am His and He is mine/Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

And for you, I believe all of this also holds true. Lets quite crying coyote – praying for matters of this world – and get to work on God’s kingdom! 

-4/7 Update-

The geese saga continues....

Today while walking to work/class Jon and I were both pooped on! And stepped in poop! All within a few seconds!

AND the geese are swimming circles around the swan and playing staring games with the coyote! Obviously the story is out. These geese are no fools.

No comments: