Sunday, August 28, 2011

How my purple toes are helping Africa


Dear family and friends, 

Did you know that I am running a half marathon? Its true! On September 11th I will run in the Chicago Half-Marathon. I’m running with a great team too – I’ll get that later.

First, I want to tell you about my purple toes. Yes you read right, my purple toes! I began training for the race in March; back then I was exhausted just thinking about running five miles! I wish I could say training has been a breeze. Honestly, training for this race has been one of the hardest things I have done.

My shoes have been my bread and butter. I can’t imagine training without them, granted they have caused me a lot of pain, sores, and blisters. For example, they turned the big toe on both my feet purple! At first I didn’t realize it because I had pink nail polish on my toes. Then I thought I had a toe fungus. Finally I realized my shoes were the culprit. They were too small – a full size and a half to be exact. Almost immediately I decided to buy new shoes. Now, I have a new pair and I’m ready for the race. I can’t imagine running the race with my old shoes. It’s amazing to think how quickly I took care of my need. It may have taken me weeks to figure out such a need existed, but once I did, once I removed my pink nail polish, I took care of it.

I bet you would have done the same thing, which is why I am writing you. I want to tell you about another need, one that is much more important than my shoes. One that cannot simply be covered up by pink nail polish. Education – in Angola, Africa to be exact. While primary education is free in Angola, many children are not able to attend school due to a lack of school buildings. (During the Angolan Civil War (1975-2002) nearly half of all schools were looted or destroyed). This is where Team Rise steps in – I’m taking part in the Team RISE 2011 to raise money for RISE International.

The mission of Rise International is to partner with Angolan churches, community leaders and government officials to build primary schools in rural Angola. The first school was built in 2003, just 8 years ago - and now there are over 100 schools built, and more than 60,000 children in school learning, those that would not have had the chance for years to come!

Each and every penny you give matters and will make a difference.  Our team goal for 2011 is to raise $200,000 by running the Chicago Half Marathon and full Marathon.  It takes on average $125 to create space in a school for a student, so this goal represents an additional 1,600 students that will be able to go to school because of you. 

Would you consider giving $13 to Rise International? It’s an odd number – 13 – but also significant. Why?
…13 is the number of miles I’ll run on September 11th
…13 (dollars) is about how much you’d spend eating out…how about eating in for a change, to make a change? J
…13 (years) is the average length of time an American child – and hopefully an Angolan child, thanks to your gift – is afforded to spend in grade school

Click here to make a donation to Team Rise now. All donations are secure and sent directly to RISE International by FirstGiving, who will email you a printable record of your donation.

I’m so glad I got a chance to share with you about my race and Rise International.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Emily 

PS...I usually don't post stuff like this on my blog but thought you may enjoy knowing about a way the Lord is growing my faith muscles in a very concrete and physical way. Plus, I couldn't pass on the opportunity to tell you about the needs in Angola. I hope you will consider helping these kiddos out!


No comments: