Monday, December 20, 2010

The truth about our marriage

For our wedding, Jon and I planted a plant to represent our coming together as one. Our mothers each picked a plant that was carried down our wedding aisle in separate flower pots. After we said our wedding vows, we kneeled to combine the plants into one pot. Then we joined hands to pray our first prayer together as husband and wife.

And, while our marriage is alive and well, our unity plant is dead. If our life was a Hollywood picture, it would be only a matter of time before our marriage dissolved like. However, I am not Rachel McAdams and Jon is not Brad Pitt. Yet, each time Chance chews on the deadly remains of our plant I have to say to myself “That does not reflect our marriage.” And, though I chuckle as I say it, it is an encouragement I need to hear. I know my life is not a Hollywood movie, but sometimes, because I watch so many of them, I believe that my life is the latest screenplay. Symbolism moves life along on the big screen. Doom is foreshadowed by a deadly plant.

I need to remember who determines the story of my life. I need to remember that my life already has a happily ever after ending. I need to be focused on the story of Jesus instead of my story. I need to realize that my actions in accordance to God’s will adds progressed the Emily Fontenot motion picture. I am so glad that when Jon and I prayed our first prayer together, it was not for a plant to be strengthened and ever enduring, it was for our marriage to be filled with God’s power and promise.

My friend asked me to be a part of their wedding by being a apart of their wedding laso tradition. This will symbolize their unity. As I thought more and more about it, I became more and more humbled by the significance of my friend’s request. I have been a bridesmaid many times, but this is a first. The weight of responsibility began to wear on me as I sought to acquire the object that would represent the wedded couple’s unity. I searched and searched for an item that portrayed the beauty of the couple. And when I had no luck in shopping, I stepped out on a limb and actually made a wedding lasso (totally outside of my comfort zone – but now I have a new hobby :). I went to Michaels for supplies, when I told the clerk heard what I was doing, she said “Ohhh, God bless you,” to which I said “Yes! God bless me, I need his help.” God was faithful and by his grace I was able to create a beautiful token. Yet the fears continued. Will they like it? Will it bust in the middle of the ceremony? And the typical fear, what sort of shame will I be led to endure?

But, last night as I was putting the finishing touches on the masterpiece God created through me, and I realized…he created it, not me. In awe, I stopped and reflected at my inability and his ability. I remembered that while God does dish out his fair share of challenges, he also lavishes a great abundance of mercy and grace upon me, most notable when mighty things happen despite my ability (which happens so often). And because of this, I have hope that the God who began a good work in me will bring it to completion.

The lasso turned out to be beautiful thing. Which is just it - it’s a thing. When it comes down to it, shouldn’t I be more concerned about what it symbolizes. And praying that the couple would reflect what it symbolizes.

There are so many good symbols (especially wedding types one) to represent our commitments, but a symbol does not secure a reality, your actions do. Symbols represent a reality we wish to guide our lives by. However, the way you live your life, not the symbol you have acquired, truly reflects reality. Therefore, when you find a symbol that you want to represent your life don’t just acquire it, live it out.

I am so thankful that the truth of our marriage is not found in a withering plant, but in the way we love and respect eachother and seek to serve and honor God.

1 comment:

SandraJohnson said...

Hey Grace, my name is Sandra. I read several blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I ran across this prayer exchange website and I haven't had the chance to ask my Church what their stance is on it.

I'm a bit confused, I think that there are some benefits to a site like this but some Christians might find it questionable.

The website is http://www.prayermarket.com/.

If you're looking for a topic to blog about, I would be curious to hear your thoughts and know what your stance is on this type of prayer service.

I have your blog in my feed reader so i'll check back, God bless
Sandra J.