Monday, May 23, 2011

It's our birthday!!



Happy marriage day to my handsome groom!!! We are two years old! Would that make us toddler lovers? Does that mean the terrible twos are upon us? Just joking!

As days like today are usually called wedding anniversaries, allow me to explain why I also liken it to a birthday: December 6th is of course my birthday, the day Emily Mandes was born and May 23rd is my wedding anniversary, the day I became Emily Fontenot. Two years ago a wedding took place, vows were swapped, God was present, and our lives were positioned in a completely new direction, together.

Like toddlers, Jon and I are learning to share our toys, to play nicely in the sandbox, to say please and thank you, and (of course) not to talk while the other is still speaking. And, like toddlers we are easily amused. Laughter comes easy and often between the two of us. The list of things to do and see is long and the energy to tackle the list is deep.

Last year on our anniversary we decided Jon would attend Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. As expected, that decision placed us in a sea of unknowns. We did not know much about our future but we were expectantly hoping that God would use this season of change to draw us closer to him and to each other. And PTL, it has done such!

To my groom:

You bring me great pride, more than any words I've written or acts I've accomplished. You are my prized possession. Being away from Texas has been difficult, yet it has added to our strength as a couple. I am still learning to identify how you show love and how you need love, but it is a lifetime lesson I am committed to seeking. If your love for me is reflective in the way you have diligently pursued your studies, then I am a fortunate woman! I have been in awe of your aptitude and endurance this past year. I appreciate that you are sharing your MDiv experience with me, and that it is not something you are doing on your own. I look forward living life with you here in Deerfield and I pray that God will provide opportunities for you to leave your studies for us to be together. You are often in my prayers and praises. May we go forth into another year, filled with the patience and endurance that God calls us to exhibit. And may we never say no to what God has for us. I love you with God's love.


Thanks also to our family and friends that helped make our wedding happen, and whi continue to support us!

No comments: